Monday 10 February 2014

Ayurvedic Knowledge

     For more info on what ayurvedic medicine is, where is a link to wikipedia:    
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayurvedic_medicine  Though I definitely recommend
     you either google is more, or ask me anything about it! Very interesting. Basically,
     in as small a nutshell as possible, it is a holistic approach to rebalancing your body
     where you currently are (internally) and then rebalancing you back to where you
     were when you were born. This is mainly done through digestion, but is also paired
     with things such as yoga, mantras, meditation, aromatherapy, mindfulness, etc;



I am gaining so much insight and useful information after having started to see an ayurvedic doctor in training. This girl is awesome. I totally think her and I would be friends outside of this doctor-patient relationship. She is such a gypsy type, in the best way possible, down to earth, sending out good vibes. In addition to teaching in Korea, she is continuing her education through distance ed from the ayurvedic school in Cali and completing practicum hours as well. She is one heck of a busy cat!

I relish in the days when we meet up for check-in's and to add another thing onto my plate for personal growth/to help improve my digestion. I have come to collect quick the list of recipes that I MUST come to share with you all. This morning I made a smoothie (even though the second, second-hand blender I have lacks much needed power) with almonds, dates and almond milk - Delish!

Somethings definitely are harder to accomplish here that she has recommended for me as, well ... I'm in Korea and shits hard to come by at times. But I do what I can. At least the food/digestion part is easy enough to incorporate into my life with relative ease.

Some other useful tidbits I have come to pick up are as follows:


  • When adding honey to tea, let the tea cool to room temperature before adding, otherwise it will release toxins from the honey
  • If you have a cold have a TB of honey and cinnamon
  • Drink warm (with or without lemon) every morning at the same time. It will help keep you regular and is a great way to start off the day!
  • Milk, this includes all kinds, should be drank warmed and with some spices, such as cardamon, ginger or cinnamon
  • If you are going to eat ice cream or chocolate or the like, have it as a snack on its own away from meals. Your body will go straight to digesting the chocolate even if it is currently digesting a big dinner you JUST ate. Also, the ice cream will put a damper on the fire that is your digestion, slowing everything down.
  • DO NOT mix milk and yogurt. If you are having a smoothie, pick one or the other. 
  • DO NOT consume milk and sour fruits, it will cause the milk to curdle in your stomach. Gross!
  • For a natural breath freshener, chew on cardamom pods. It'll seem off and funky-ish at first, but they are actually pretty neat and tasty little suckers. 

I have so much more knowledge it is just sitting at home at the moment. 
More to come I promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment