Wednesday 19 February 2014

Ayurvedic Delicious-ness!

I am loving this Self Journey I have begun here in Korea. The universe has been sending all that I need my way at just the right time; or mayhaps, I am just open and willing enough to listen now, more so than I was before. Either way I am absolutely in LOVE with this process and practice. I am learning to make my routines into habits. I am doing my dishes regularly, making my bed, exercising, meditating, yoga-ing (yes it's a verb!), drinking loads of water, taking me time, writing, etc. So great. Feeling more and more like I am becoming the ME I always knew I was/wanted to be.

And now for something completely different! Here are some of my ayurvedic recipes that I have tried. They are amaze-ballz! Please do try! And substitute where needed!

Brown Rice Breakfast Bowl
3 TB brown rice (can mix in quinoa or oats)
1 C water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1 tsp ghee (or oil)
maple syrup to taste (I use honey)

Combine cinnamon, cardamom and ghee in saucepan over medium-low heat until scent is released. Add water and bring to boil. Add rice (precooked) and bring to boil. Let simmer on low until it is creamy - I have a hard time getting it creamy, mine is usually just watery but still yummy! Add syrup to taste.

Kitchari Recipe - THE Ayurvedic Recipe! - great for doing a 10 day cleanse as it helps to reset your digestive system
1 c basmati rice
2 c mung dal (split yellow)
7 c water
1/4 tsp salt
2 TB ghee
2 tsp cumin seeds or powder
2 tsp tumeric powder
2 tsp corriander powder
2 tsp fennel powder
pinch asafoetida (hing)
pinch ginger powder

Wash mung dal and rice separately. Soak mung dal over night or for a few hours then drain. Saute seeds in ghee until the POP (careful not to burn them). Add the spices. Saute for 1-2 mins. Add boiling water. Bring all to a boil. Simmer for 30 mins. Prepare any vegetables that support your constitution, cut into small pieces. Add rice and vegetables. Bring to boil. Simmer 20 mins or until rice is fully cooked. Add minimal water as you are trying to simmer it off - keep lid on while simmering. Add TB organic plain white yogurt on the top!

Carrot/Ginger Soup
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 whole carrots
2 TB celery stalk (I just up a bunch of actual celery)
1/4 inch fresh ginger
2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mineral salt

Put everything into blender (I pre cut). Fill to the height of the vegetables with water. Puree. Pour into pot and boil for 15 mins.

Honey & Cinnamon Takra
1/8 tsp cardamon
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1 tsp honey
2/3 c water
1/3 cup yogurt (plain white is best)

Put into a jar or cup with a lid on it. Shake for a couple mins. Eat/drink away!

Dr. Vasant Lad's Date & Almond Shake
<amazing!!!>
6 medjool dates
20 almonds
1 c water to soak dates in
1 c water to soak almonds in
pinch of cinnamon, cardamom and/or nutmeg
1-2 c milk (or milk substitute or water, or half and half)
1/2-1 c hot water

In separate bowls soak dates and almonds in 1 c water each OVER NIGHT. In morning pop skin off the almonds and chop up the dates (remove pits if there are any). Blend almonds, dates, and date soaking water. Bring milk to a boil. Add milk, water and spices to the blender. Blend until frothy.
Drink warm.

Herbal Chai Tea ~ alternative to coffee
(serving size 1)
1/2 c milk (or milk substitute)
1/2 c water
2 crushed whole cloves
2 crushed cardamom pods
2 crushed peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 half thumb size piece peeled, chopped ginger
1-1 1/2 tsp black tea leaves or 1 black tea bag (2 for a stronger cup)
add honey or jaggery (dark brown sugar) to sweeten

Combine milk, water and spices in medium saucepan. Boil until frothy. Turn off. Add black tea. Soak for 5-8 mins. Important NOT to boil the tea or it destroys its healing properties. Strain and enjoy!

Honey and Tamari Sunflower Seed Mix
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp honey
1 c sunflower seeds
1 tsp tamari

Grind coriander. Mix honey with cayenne and coriander. Heat oil. Brown sunflower seeds in oil and tamari. Remove from heat and place in container. Mix with honey sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment