Thursday 15 May 2014

wanderlust


At a young age I was exposed to the joys and magnificence of traveling and exploring the world. It all started with a naive, fifteen year old me heading to Europe with NO FAMILIAR faces or people. Needless to say I was stricken with a strong sense social insecurity terror. Between making new friends,  American-school-approved severely underaged drinking sightseeing and becoming lost in the Vatican, I found myself drawn to the experience of something new, something different, something foreign. A thirst within me grew for new adventures, no matter the style.  Ahhhh. Yes. *deep inhale in* The beginnings of "the travel bug" have begun ...

 Had you told me then that I would become a world traveler, one who is more than comfortable traveling solo for extended periods of time, and to investigate, research, inquire and plan out multiple trips abroad I would have guffawed at you.  

With this increase in travel adventure had as well as ones to come, I cannot help but wonder how this will affect me long term. At no point in human history have we been afforded such vast opportunities to glimpse into the worlds and cultures of others as we are able to today. My question is, have I created a monster within? A monster of insatiable desire to travel the world, continually seeking the next new adventure that lays around the river bend?

Currently, I feel the strong desire to flee Korea and embark on another adventure. I don't even care what it is. I just know that I have learned all I can here; all that I was suppose to. I have completed the growth I was suppose to, at least started the continual process of self discovery, self acceptance and self exploration. My body is craving a change. I have become so complaisant with where I reside and I have grown to dislike this feeling of staleness.

On the flip-side, will I one day wish to settle down somewheres and not be able to? I will have left parts of myself across the world without a true sense of home in the broadest sense.  Will I wish to lay down roots and truly not know where this place is?


I do not anticipate that traveling will be ended for me, especially not in the foreseeable future. Though these questions do beg for some attention and consideration. In my quest for new adventures, new experiences, new sights and new smells, have I royally screwed myself over despite all the positive life gains I am creating?

Am I too old  for this one to apply to me any more? :p


No comments:

Post a Comment