Thursday 29 May 2014

home-style art scene

Stumbled upon a showing of Shakespeare this past weekend. Lucky for me and the rest of the foreigners it was performed in English with Korean subtitles. I definitely feel like a bit of an arse in being thankful for this, especially seeing as how it is not 'my' country, but I elected to SEE the country rather than learn the language. I feel all the more well-learned of the area and feel a different (what I see as deeper and more fulfilling) appreciation for the country than my Korean-language-only-studiers have. Not to gloat ... :)

I viewed a fantastic performance of Midsummer's Night Dream. Truly amazing! In reflecting upon the education I have received, I feel very uninformed in regards to Shakespeare. I remember reading the stereotypical, Romeo & Juliet, and that was honestly it. Never touched a lick of his work since! Even in being completely unaware of the storyline I still thoroughly enjoyed the theatrics his work has to offer.

In exploring beforehand, I even discovered a cutesy, little breakfast/italien restaurant. So delicious! Who doesn't love waffles, bacon (real, legit bacon in fact!), sausage, egg and salad (real salad!) for dinner. Om nom nom-ness in my mouth hole!

The show definitely makes me wish for home and the art and performance scene. I am sad to be missing Fringe, to miss PRIDE in Van and Edmonton ~ though Van you are waaaay better and definitely my favorite!, street performers, buskers on the sidewalks, people selling their art ... ah I cannot wait to be home for this! I miss the scene that is back home. Though the weather in ever warming, the sun is shining and I continue to smile and say hello in korean to passerby's (even though the majority of them look upon me with disgust - lol!), I miss my sense of home.


No comments:

Post a Comment