Friday 6 December 2013

Sudoksa Temple

Last weekend I spent a good solid 24 hrs tucked away from society, nestled in the mountains with monks of all sorts. I even made three Canadian female friends. One even dated a boy from my hometown! I took a trip to a Buddhist monastery with Adventure Korea; yet another cool your company here.

I didn't go in anticipating an epiphany or "aha" moment but more to learn, gain perspective and try some different meditations.

Because there wasn't really a translator, I feel we missed a lot of learning. We did try a variety of meditations though: 108 bows - made my own mala beads! - 330 chanting, listening to drums - connecting to my aboriginal heartbeat - walking meditation, seated meditation, lying meditation - of which I totally fell asleep as it was after the 330 am chanting - and focused meditation - we made lotus flowers and stared at then.

I look forward to furthering my own knowledge through reading and participating in another temple stay elsewhere. It was a good starter temple though. I snuck snacks in and severely layered myself as I thought it was going to be hella strict.

It was so not though! We had more than enough to eat an it was too hot in the rooms. I also caught a monk sneaking off to smoke. Ha! Guess we're all human eh.

Our guide monk was super sweet though. She said others consider her mind not clean as she likes alcohol, meat and girls. Heart warmed.

All in all it was a mental calm am not a physical calm. I was so stuff and sore after the 108 bows.


















No comments:

Post a Comment